Tropical Malady is in competition at the Singapore International Film Festival from April 14 to 30. It's the lone feature film from Thailand. The fest also has several Thai short films.
But what really caught my attention at the fest is an Asian Anime category. Steam Boy is part of this and is the opening film. There's also Ghost in the Shell 2, Appleseed, Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers and a Korean anime, Wonderful Days.
From Cambodia, Rithy Panh's latest film, The People of Angkor, will be screened. And there are many more. The Malaysia Star has a roundup of some of the Asian entries.
In addition to Tropical Malady, there are nine other films up for the Silver Screen Awards:
- 1st Time, Lyle Nemenzo Sacris, Philippines
- A Time Far Past, Ho Quang Minh, Vietnam
- Bow Barracks Forever,Anjan Dutt, India
- Of Love and Eggs, Garin Nugroho, Indonesia
- Stray Dogs, Marziyeh Meshkini, Iran
- The Green Hat, Liu Fendou, Hong Kong
- The Hunter, Serik Aprymov, Japan/Kazakhstan
- This Charming Girl, Lee Yoon-Ki, Korea
- Underexposure,Odey Rasheed, Germany/Iraq
- War by Niyom Khongchay
- Mr Weirdo & Anomalous Space by Arnont Nongyaow
- The Wall by Doongta Patummasoot, Baramee Smathipunya, Sahaporn Noiyu and Anocha Pisaipan
- Full Moon by Pongpol Wonsawat, Seri Lachonnabot and Narongrit Prathum
- The Night Of Freedom by Areewan Wattaranon, Sittipon Chankomol, Sek Sakunasingh, Worachat Suwan and Patchara Eaimtrakul
(Cross-published at Rotten Tomatoes)