Now called the Style by Toyota 9FilmFest, the annual short-film competition challenges filmmakers to craft a nine-minute movie that incorporates the festival’s “signature item”, which changes every year.
This time around, the “9SI” is “waterway”, which means the films must somehow feature a river, stream or a canal – moving-water features that are easy to find around Thailand.
“The symbol ensures that the films have been created for our festival,” says Brian Bennett, who created the 9FilmFest in 2011. A seasoned festival hand, he founded the original Bangkok Film Festival in 1998.
The maker of the best film will drive away in “a brand new Toyota Vios”.
Picking the driver will be a jury that’s set to include actor Ananda Everingham, film critics Kong Rithdee and John Anderson, directors Tanwarin Sukkhapisit, Prachya Pinkaew, Areeya Chumsai and Adam Yukol and producer Yuthana Boonorm.
To get contestants ready, the festival will hold workshops over the next several weeks. Here's the schedule:
- July 6 – “Where does Inspiration come from?” with producer-director Pop Areeya and “How to shoot a documentary”. Bennett will explain “Rules of entry, Guidelines, What it takes to be a finalist.”
- July 13 – “Good scripts, make good films?" with Wych Kaosayananda and Prachya Pinkaew.
- July 27 – "Can we live without Pre-Production? How?” with Adam Yukol.
- July 31 – Acting workshop with Kaprice Kea, acting coach, Fluid Co. Ltd.
- August 3 – “The Importance of Teamwork” with Wych Kaosayananda.
- August 7 – “Winning 2012 Amazing Thailand 9FilmFest” with Wattanapong Wongwan, director of Video Call
- August 10 – “Who wants to be a director?” with Tanwarin Sukkhapisit.
- August 24 – “Adobe Creative Cloud" with Adobe Team, Adobe Premiere Pro.
There will also be movie nights, showing finalist and semi-finalist 9FilmFest entreis from past years. Here's the schedule:
- July 26 – 9FilmFest Finalists 2011
- August 14 – 9FilmFest Semi-Finalists 2012
- August 21 – 9FilmFest Semi-Finalists 2012
- August 28 – 9FilmFest Finalists 2012
The deadline for entries in this year's festival is August 15 with the nine finalist films unspooling on September 21 and 22 at Paragon Cineplex. For more details, visit www.Facebook.com/9FILMFEST.