Sunday, May 23, 2004

2046: The Bangkok connection

For me, bigger than the drama of Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 showing up late at Cannes was finding out the film was being made in Bangkok.

Of course, I'm not surprised no one was making a big fuss about it beforehand. After all, I can imagine the shitstorm of press that would be around disrupting things for Wong and his stars if the public got wind that they were in Bangkok making a film that was due to be shown at Cannes. Let the guy work.

Tony Leung, star of the film, told AFP he was still shooting scenes just days before its French Riviera screening.

"We were shooting the last scenes in Bangkok on May 12," he said.

Wow. Now I'm super psyched to see this movie, though I doubt any scenes from Bangkok will be recognizable to me. Thinking back, Wong's previous film In the Mood for Love was shot in Bangkok.

In fact, if I read this interview correctly, Wong was scouting locations in Bangkok for 2046 when he had the idea to make In the Mood. So 2046 has actually been in the making for quite a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no questions or comments about where to download movies or subtitle files.

Please read the FAQ about Thai films on DVD before asking about where to find a Thai movie on DVD with English subtitles.

Make your comments pertinent to the post you are commenting on. For off-topic comments, general observations or news tips, consider sending an e-mail to me at wisekwai [ a t ] g m a i l [d o t ] c o m.

All comments are moderated. Spam comments will be deleted.