Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review: Yes or No? So, I Love You


  • Directed by Sarasawadee Wongsompetch
  • Starring Sucharat Manaying, Supanat Jittaleela
  • Released in Thai cinemas on December 16, 2010; rated 15+
  • Wise Kwai's rating: 3/5

Cloyingly cute and so light it's almost inconsequential, Yes or No, Yak Rak Kor Rak Loei (Yes or No อยากรัก ก็รักเลย, also Yes or No, So I Love You) is distinguished from most other youth-oriented romantic comedies by being "that lesbian film".

Beneath the surface there are at least a couple of meaningful messages. One is that love is pretty confusing, even moreso if you are unsure of your sexuality. The other is that entering into a relationship takes courage, and you need double the usual amount of bravery if such a relationship goes against what is deemed normal.

The girly-type girl is Pie, a sweet college co-ed who's just moved into her dorm room. While she's taking a shower, her roommate comes in. Upon leaving the bathroom, the towel-wrapped Pie is surprised by the new arrival, who looks like a young man. Then a cockroach runs over the short-haired person's foot and the "guy" screams like a girl, and jumps into the arms of the terry-cloth swaddled Pie.

The tomboy's name is Kim, and Pie doesn't like her. She lays a line of red tape down the middle of the room, one that Kim shall not pass.

But eventually the roommates become friends, bonding over meals Kim prepares in her rice cooker. Kim serenades Pie with her ukulele and these best friends forever pass the time playing shadow puppets. Tentative friendship gradually becomes something more, and that red line is ignored as the roommates' two beds are pushed together.


Both hold out, though, on the question of whether they are gay. Kim swears she's not a "tom" even as she gives Pie long, significant, puppy-dog-eye glances.

The first half of Yes or No clips along at an enjoyable and humor-filled pace. There's the stock stereotypical supporting characters, like a wise-cracking effeminate gay male friend and a weird girl named Nerd who steals scenes in her strange, quiet way. Pie has a bland boyfriend who wishes he could be more to her. The slower-paced melodramatic last half is filled with tears, misunderstandings involving a pushy "dee"-type lesbian neighbor girl and running in the rain.

As with the celebrated gay-teen romantic drama Love of Siam, Yes or No has a parental figure disapproving of the relationship. The finger-wagging mother is there to raise the stakes for the two girls and act as a surrogate for Thailand's cultural watchdogs who worry about the immorality and disturbance to public order that films might pose. Who knows, without that disapproving mother to give her little speech, everyone who watches Yes or No might turn gay and bring Thai society to ruin.

So it's up to Pie and Kim to show they have the courage to go against that message. But will they? Yes or no?


Previous posts:

32 comments:

  1. i like this movie.. n_n

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you missing Pie's other friend? Uhm, I think it's Jane but then again the subs might be lying to me... :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. this movie is the best.iloveit so much. iloveyou PIE :) go O+ <3 +O

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder how guys would feel while watching this..:)
    Anyway the movie was great. Pie is so cute, i think even a straight woman would fall for her..:) jub jub

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this movie so much. Kim is so cute and gentle. The way she takes care of Pie is lovely. Love the couple ^^
    Jane is an adorable girl and a good friend, too.

    P.S: I like OST, the song "If one day you have courage".

    ReplyDelete
  6. this movie is such a wonder; an eye opener. loving ti to bits <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This movie is so cute! *-*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the movie; I thought it was funny but it also had some depth. That being said, I didn't know why a cool girl like Kim would fall in love with Pie, because I found Pie annoying and self-centered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness you wrote this. I found myself in the same boat and somewhat in the minority as well: why does Kim like Pie?

      Delete
    2. love doesnt need a reason...

      Delete
  9. Are they together in real life? yes or no?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the film so much. Very funny and romantic. The love of two girls so cute

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think they were now taping the Yes or No 2.. i can't wait........ :)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I WANT A NEW STORY ABOUT THEM :""> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :(( THEY'RE SUCH A CUTIE COUPLE. :"> <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. this movie is great i like it so much i can relate so much i love this couple <3 lub it....

    ReplyDelete
  14. sweet movie.. my better half told me about it and forwarded the link to it, the first time i watched it, there was like butterflies all over my tummy.. it reminded me of how great love can be, how great our love can be.. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. this movie is cool i cant wait to watch the part 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhhhhhhhh im not in thailand!!!!!!

      Delete
  16. Just watched this. Although there were a few cringe-worthy moments, on the whole it was a very nice film and definitely worth watching. I have never seen a Thai film that boldly puts gay issues out like this one. I'm going to recommend this to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ilove this movie! kim is so cute! love to repeat it over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love this movie...

    I'm not tiring watching this movie over and over again....

    I hope you can visit here in the Philippines.....

    Aom, I really like you...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked the movie, it was cute! But I found it extremely awkward too watch...o.o Did anyone else just feel a little bit off at times?

    ReplyDelete
  20. i know nothing about movies from thailand, so recently my half sis shared a link to her fb status and even photos about em (tina & aom) it's kinda awkward though but when i watched it and i was like holy cow.. this movies was superb!! thnx to this movie i started to plan after finishing my college to have a vacation in thailand.. p.s tina was flat chested i was confused @ first if it wasn't for her voice definitely not gonna notice that she's a gurl:)) , and for aom she really moved me every time she smiles her eyes was brilliant. :)) were anxiously waiting for the YoN2, although were not sure yet if we can watch it this year as this movie will available on cinema on aug16 nxt month. :( but were hoping though that there will be an online shop for the DVD copy of YON2..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are the really together in real life?

    ReplyDelete
  22. this movie is very nice I LOVE IT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. love this movie so much.. its perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been watching this over and over again for weeks and I simply cannot get over it omg. I'm not even lesbian lol. omggggggggggg I cried so hard lol I know I'm getting quite obsessive but still... OMG. Best. Movie. Ever. Gosh. Yes or No 3 pleaseeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Yes or No and Yes or No 2! Such sweet films. Where can I buy them on DVD with English subtitles?

    ReplyDelete
  26. In Thailand a 'tom' is a transgender guy or sometimes and incredibly butch person.

    I that's why kim said I am not a tom, but I am also not a girl... tom is a much more complicated label then just tomboy, as it is in the west.

    Kim is also trying to say: Don't put a label on me, I am not a label. I am me! and if you put a label on me and I except it, then people will only see me and judge me as that label.

    Suck an important message!... and then in the end its just a cute fluffy movie.

    ReplyDelete

Please, no questions or comments about where to download movies or subtitle files.

Please read the FAQ about Thai films on DVD before asking about where to find a Thai movie on DVD with English subtitles.

Make your comments pertinent to the post you are commenting on. For off-topic comments, general observations or news tips, consider sending an e-mail to me at wisekwai [ a t ] g m a i l [d o t ] c o m.

All comments are moderated. Spam comments will be deleted.