Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity), the lavish period romantic drama by ML Bhandevanop "Mom Noi" Devakula and starring Ananda Everingham and "Ploy" Chermarn Boonyasak, swept the top prizes for film in the 8th Kom Chad Luek Awards on Thursday night at the Bangkok Convention Center at Central Plaza Lat Phrao.
Mom Noi's return to filmmaking after a 13-year hiatus, Chua Fah Din Salai won prizes for best movie, director and screenplay. Stars Ananda and Ploy were awarded for their roles as the iconic cheating young lovers, chained together for eternity. It was the top nominee, having had eight nods across the seven categories.
Based on a 1943 novel by Malai Choopinit, the steamy Chua Fah Din Salai was a summer box-office hit. Mom Noi released a director's cut last month. An hour longer and more explicit than the original release, Eternity: Director's Cut was to play for just two weeks at Bangkok's House cinema, but its run was extended when audiences turned out in droves to watch it.
Other best-movie nominees included Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Uruphong Rakasad's Agrarian Utopia and Mundane History by Anocha Suwichakornpong – all independent films that only had limited releases in Thailand during 2010. Apichatpong and Uruphong were also up for best director and Mundane was a best-screenplay nominee.
Ananda was a double nominee for best actor, also standing for his dark anti-hero turn in Wisit Sasanatieng's The Red Eagle, which was also a nominee for best movie, director and screenplay.
Ananda's Eternity co-star Ploy also won a best-actress trophy for her role in the TV drama Rabam Duang Dao.
Also scoring many acting nominations was Nak Prok (Shadow of the Naga), the controversial "monks-with-guns" crime drama. It was up for best actor, supporting actor (two nods) and supporting actress. "Sai" Inthira Charoenpura won for her portrayal of a greedy, back-stabbing prostitute while veteran actor Sa-ad Piampongsan took the supporting-actor trophy for his role as a wise elderly monk with hidden motives. Two of the movie's trio of bank robbers to don monk's robes, lead actor Somchai Kemklad and supporting actor Ray MacDonald, were also nominated.
The child actors in GTH's The Little Comedian received nominations as well.
And GTH's South Korean travel romance Guan Muen Ho (Hello Stranger) was voted most popular movie.
The Kom Chad Luek Awards, organized by the mass-circulation Thai-language daily newspaper in the Nation Multimedia Group, also gives prizes for music and TV shows.
Lyn's Lakorn Blog has more on the ceremony.
Here's the list of nominees and winners of the film prizes:
WINNER – Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity), ML Bhandevanop Devakula (Sahamongkol Film International)
- Lung Boonmee Raluek Chat (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives), Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Kick the Machine)
- Rao Song Sam Khon (That Sounds Good), "Leo" Kittikorn Liawsirikul (M-Thirtynine)
- Sawan Baan Na (Agrarian Utopia), Uruphong Raksasad (Extra Virgin Company)
- Insee Dang (The Red Eagle), Wisit Sasanatieng (Five Star Production)
WINNER – ML Bhandevanop Devakula, Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity)
- Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Lung Boonmee Raluek Chat (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
- "Leo" Kittikorn Liawsirikul, Rao Song Sam Kon (That Sounds Good)
- Uruphong Raksasad, Sawan Baan Na (Agrarian Utopia)
- Wisit Sasanatieng, Insee Dang (The Red Eagle)
WINNER – Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity), ML Bhandevanop Devakula
- Rak Tee Ror Koi (October Sonata), Somkiet Vituranich
- Lung Boonmee Raluek Chat (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Apichatpong Weerasethakul
- Insee Dang (The Red Eagle), Wisit Sasanatieng
- Jok Nok Krajok (Mundane History), Anocha Suwichakornpong
WINNER – Ananda Everingham, Eternity
- Somchai Kemklad, Nak Prok (Shadow of the Naga)
- Chawin Likitjareonpong, Baan Chan ... Talok Wai Gon (Por Son Wai) (The Little Comedian)
- Thongpoom Siriphiphat, Yaak Dai Yin Wah Rak Kan (Best Supporting Actor)
- Ananda Everingham, The Red Eagle
WINNER – "Ploy" Chermarn Boonyasak, Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity)
- Rattanrat Eertaweekul, Rao Song Sam Khon (That Sounds Good)
- Lakkana Wattanawongsiri, Namtan Daeng (Brown Sugar)
- Neungtida Sophon, Guan Muen Ho (Hello Stranger)
- Pimchanok Luevisetpaibool, Sing Lek Lek Thee Riak Wa … Ruk (First Love)
Best Supporting Actor
WINNER: Sa-ad Piampongsan, Nak Prok (Shadow of the Naga)
- Pitsanu Nimsakul, Rak Tee Ror Koi (October Sonata)
- Ray MacDonald, Nak Prok (Shadow of the Naga)
- Teerapong Leowrakwong, Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity)
- Sakkaraj Rerkthamrong, Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity)
Best supporting actress
WINNER: Inthira Charoenpura, Nak Prok (Shadow of the Naga)
- Kanya Rattapetch, Krai ... Nai Hong (Who R U)
- Ramita Mahapreukpong, Rao Song Sam Khon (That Sounds Good)
- Nichapat Jaruratnawaree, Baan Chan ... Talok Wai Gon (Por Son Wai) (The Little Comedian)
- Daraneenuch Pothipithi, Chua Fah Din Salai (Eternity)