The indie romantic drama Wonderful Town was the biggest winner at Sunday night's Subhanahongsa Awards (รางวัลภาพยนตร์แห่งชาติ สุพรรณหงส์), the Thai film industry's biggest awards bash.
Written and directed by Aditya Assarat and produced by his Pop Pictures, Wonderful Town won best picture, best director and best screenplay, as well as best art direction and best cinematography. A haunting love story set in a small town in Phuket Province after the 2004 tsunami, Wonderful Town had been nominated for eight awards in all. The independent film won accolades at several festivals in 2007 and 2008 and finally played in Thailand in a limited release last year.
The best actor prize went to Ananda Everingham for his role in the romantic comedy-drama Happy Birthday as the obsessive caretaker boyfriend of a comatose woman.
Best actress was Ratchawin Wongviriya. She starred in the love-triangle drama Rak/Sam/Sao as part of a trio of best friends who keeps her true feelings under wraps.
The best supporting actor trophy went to veteran actor Sorapong Chatree for his role as the leader of a group of bandits and mentor to Tony Jaa's character in Ong-Bak 2. Sorapong, earlier this year named a National Artist, was a double nominee in the category, having also been noted for his part as a hermit sorcerer in Queens of Langkasuka. Ong-Bak 2 had been nominated for seven awards, including best actor for Jaa.
The best supporting actress was Focus Jirakul for playing a pop-idol obsessive teenager in the ensemble romance Hormones.
Nonzee Nimbutr's lavish historical pirate fantasy Queens of Langkasuka scored three awards in the technical categories, winning best sound, best costumes and best visual effects.
Another indie film, the psychological thriller The 8th Day was a top nominee as well, and it won for best score and best costumes.
Here's the list of winners:
- Best picture -- Wonderful Town
- Best director -- Wonderful Town
- Best actor -- Ananda Everingham, Happy Birthday
- Best actress -- Ratchawin Wongviriya (Rak/Sam/Sao)
- Best supporting actor -- Sorapong Chatree (Ong-Bak 2)
- Best supporting actress -- Focus Jeerakul (Hormones)
- Best screenplay -- Wonderful Town
- Best visual effects -- Queens of Langkasuka
- Best editing -- 4Bia
- Best cinematography -- Wonderful Town
- Best song -- "Jab Mue Chan" by Kongdej Jaturanrasamee (Handle Me With Care)
- Best original score -- The 8th Day
- Best sound -- Queens of Langkasuka
- Best art direction -- Wonderful Town
- Best costume design -- Queens of Langkasuka
- Best make up -- The 8th Day
- Lifetime Achievement Award -- Dome Sukwong, Thailand National Film Archive
The ceremony was on Sunday night at the Thailand Cultural Center in front of an audience of around 1,000. The Subhanahongsa Awards are handed out by the industry organization, the Federation of National Film Associations of Thailand, and are generally touted as the "Thai Oscars".
Update: Lyn's Lakorns has lots of photos. MThai has an interesting gallery too.
Update 2: The Bangkok Post's Kong Rithdee has a report. (cache)
(Via Daily Xpress, Deknang/Popcornmag, Dara Daily)