Uruphong Raksasad's feature Agrarian Utopia continues to collect awards and accolades on the film-festival circuit, winning a special mention at the 11th Barcelona Asian Film Festival, which wrapped up on May 10.
According to the festival website, the jury recognized Agrarian Utopia "for its unusual approach" and Uruphong for "his masterly direction."
Here's the list of awards:
- Golden Durian for best feature film directed by a new talented filmmaker -- Breathless (Yang Ik-June, South Korea, 2008)
- Special mentions:
- Sell Out! (Yeo Joon Han, Malaysia, 2008)
- Agrarian Utopia (Uruphong Raksasad, Thailand, 2008)
- Cinematk Award, guarantees the distribution of the film in Spain -- Serbis (Brillante Mendoza, Philippines, 2008)
- NETPAC Award (Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema) -- Claustrophobia (Ivy Ho, Hong Kong, 2008)
- D-Cinema Award for best film shot in digital format -- Jay (Francis Xavier Pasion, Philippines, 2008)
- Special mention: Daytime Drinking (Noh Young-Seok, South Korea, 2008)
- Audience Award -- Love Exposure (Sion Sono, Japan, 2008)
Wildgrounds has a further breakdown of the festival attendance, which has grown more than sevenfold since its first edition.
(Via Wildgrounds and e-mail from BAFF; thanks Sílvia! )