Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ploy on English-friendly-but-censored DVD in Singapore

It figures. The first English-friendly DVD release for Pen-ek Ratanaruang's moody marriage drama Ploy is from Singapore. And of course it is an edited version because there's sex scenes that Singaporeans aren't allowed to see.

MovieXclusive has it. Richard Lim Jr. reviews it. Here's an excerpt:

Since there might be a gem that I’m missing, I rewatched Ploy in the wee hours of morning and they are right, the movie became more tolerable. Without the rush to find out the outcome of the plot and in-between 2am to 3am, things become more bearable and easy to swallow. However I wouldn’t be calling this a masterpiece by a master. There are far too many aspects that could be interpreted as an amateur effort and it’s really open to interpretation if you are so inclined to. Personally Ploy isn’t a movie that I would recommend to people.

I think that's a great review. And I agree with the sentiment. Ploy is exactly the kind of movie to watch between 2 or 3 or 4 in the morning. Then you, in your half-asleep state can relate to the main characters -- a jet-lagged married couple back in Thailand after a long-haul flight from the States.

Now, as far as I understand, the unedited version of Ploy has been released in Thailand (despite that a specially edited "clean" version was released in Thai cinemas) and other non-English territories. And, as far as I understand, it's possible to play that movie with a fan-prepared subtitle file. It's easy I'm told. But darn it, whenever I'm in the mood to see Ploy, and it's usually around 4 o'clock in the morning, it's more trouble than I want to deal with and I end up going to sleep instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no questions or comments about where to download movies or subtitle files.

Please read the FAQ about Thai films on DVD before asking about where to find a Thai movie on DVD with English subtitles.

Make your comments pertinent to the post you are commenting on. For off-topic comments, general observations or news tips, consider sending an e-mail to me at wisekwai [ a t ] g m a i l [d o t ] c o m.

All comments are moderated. Spam comments will be deleted.