The latest Thai martial arts and stunt extravaganza from the Ong-Bak/Tom Yum Goong team, Chocolate now looks to be following the same pattern as the two Tony Jaa films, which were notoriously difficult to obtain with English subtitles until they were released in the States. And by then, both were compromised versions, Ong-Bak having been re-scored and Tom Yum Goong being cut, having dialogue changed in the subtitles and renamed The Protector.
In the case of Tom Yum Goong, The Weinstein Company handled the North American release. And TWC was involved with the production of Chocolate, going so far as to ask for the change of a major character -- bringing in Pongpat Wachirabunjong to play No 8 after another actor had already been filmed for the role. This led to a script rewrite and some major reshoots. Then for some reason, the U.S. deal hit some snags, Twitch has hinted. Perhaps now it's back on.
The Hong Kong release of Chocolate is still happening, but now it will only have Chinese subtitles. No English subtitles.
I think at this point, I will give up and just get the Thai DVD. At 169 baht, it won't break me, and I can then watch new star Jeeja whirl her way through an acre or so of bad guys. Hit fast forward to the next sequence.
- Chocolate censored in Singapore
- Jeeja hints at romance
- Singapore loads up on Chocolate
- Chocolate out on DVD in Thailand, coming to theaters in Singapore
- Jeeja profile
- Chocolate rated Category IIB in Hong Kong
- Chocolate ready to begin international onslaught
- Three more Jeeja clips
- Chocolate star on the talk show circuit: The clips
- Chocolate on Valentine's Day
- Bittersweet Chocolate
- Weinsteins gobble up Chocolate
- Another bite of Chocolate, other Thai films at the European Film Market
- Review: Chocolate
- Chocolate: The press premiere
- Chocolate star has a new name, but just call her Jeeja
- Chocolate website goes live, really
- Chocolate star on the talk show circuit
- Chocolate release date moved up to February 6, going head-to-head with Stephen Chow's CJ7
- Chocolate: The comic book
- Promo reel for Chocolate