The Sanctuary will be an English-language martial-arts actioner, written and directed by Brave helmer Thanapon Maliwan. It's to start filming in July. The sales agent is Action Slate Films, which has sold The Sanctuary to Luc Besson's EuropaCorp in France, Selectavision in Spain and Medya Vision for Turkey.
Here is the synopsis for The Sanctuary, from the American Film Market catalog (via Twitch):
A young Muay Thai warrior is accused of stealing a holy emerald that his master appointed him to protect. Now on the run from the police, he must retrieve the emerald from the mafia in order to prove his innocence and return the emerald to its holy place.
I watched Brave on DVD not too long ago. It's a decent DVD release and the movie has quite a few fun action sequences and jaw-dropping stunts, though also has some problems with shaky camera work and editing. Still, Mike B., a stuntman in Ong-Bak, is quite capable as a leading man, so it'll be interesting to see The Sanctuary.
- Cannes Film Festival: Duck Fight, Nonzee, Aditya make Thai Pitch
- Cannes Film Festival roundup: Som Tum, 4bia
- Cannes Film Festival: Pan-Asian roundup - The Philippines
- Cannes Film Festival: Burmese cyclone and politics
- Cannes Film Festival: Soi Cowboy roundup
- Cannes Film Festival: Where the Miracle Happens premieres
- Cannes Film Festival roundup: Jury meets, Soi Cowboy, Ong-Bak 2
- Queen of Langkasuka, Som Tum to premiere at Cannes Film Market
(Via Hollywood Reporter)